QR Code Plug-ins for WordPress Bloggers
QR codes present an excellent marketing opportunity for bloggers who want to enhance their online presence. Developed by a Toyota subsidiary in 1994, QR codes have been widely used in Japan for many years.
The trend has recently caught on elsewhere, and the UK has steadily climbed to become the seventh biggest consumer of QR codes in the world. Major companies are tapping into this resource and seeing huge benefits. The reality is that QR codes are readily accessible to everyone, so there is no reason why you can’t create one for your blog.
What Is a QR Code?
A QR code is a 2D matrix barcode that can be read by a smartphone. When scanned by the phone’s camera, the QR barcode can link directly to content on the internet. It has effectively provided a medium whereby items in the real world serve as a hyperlink to a company’s website.
Why You Should Use It
If you can get someone to visit your website when they are not in front of their desk, then you can tap into an entirely new market. QR codes enable us to superimpose an online identity on real-world items.
How to Use QR Codes
There are lots of online sites that can generate a QR code for your blog. When scanned, this QR code will then link a smartphone user directly to a URL of your choosing. Many of these programs do work, but they offer few configurable options. If you are using WordPress for your blog, then it might be a better option to go for a plug-in.
Best WordPress QR Plug-ins
There is a broad range of plug-ins that you can use on your WordPress blog. The following plug-ins are adaptable and can be used in the WordPress CMS system.
- Easy QR – This allows you to create a QR code generator that can be placed in the sidebar of your blog.
- Super Cool QR code – This plug-in uses the Google QR generator and has some really nifty features.
- QR Code Widget – This QR generator is versatile when used in the WordPress format.
- QR Code Plug-in for WordPress – This is the simplest plug-in and comes with full widget support.
Using a QR code can enhance your online presence, but there is some risk involved. If the QR code doesn’t work effectively, it will only cause annoyance, which can be detrimental to your blog’s success. The following tips will help you to maximise the marketing potential of QR codes:
- If you are selling a product or a service, put a QR code on your business card or on the label of the product. This makes it very easy for clients to visit your site.
- Only use reputable label suppliers to print out the QR code for your product. If your QR code doesn’t work, it will damage your image.
- Don’t link to static pages. Rather, link your QR code to a page on your site that is updated regularly.
- Appeal to people’s curiosity. When using a QR code in an advertisement, give people a reason to activate the link. Offer the QR code as the missing piece in a puzzle, for example.
- Don’t link to busy files with loads of content to download. People will only be annoyed by a longer wait.
QR codes, when used appropriately, offer a great marketing opportunity for the avid blogger. QR codes now make it possible for you to enhance your online presence by reaching into the real world, influencing the decisions people make.