How WordPress Makes Money? and What it Offers?
How Matt (WP founder) recently travelled to India for an event (WordCamp) and he had interaction with the bloggers there.does make money? This is my long time doubt. I searched throughout the web but did find answer till now.
Someone asked this question to WordPress founder Matt at WordCamp India. First he surprised and then answered that Automattic (Company that made WP and other products) is profitable.
Amit of labnol.org attended the camp and he shared this funny & important discussion on his blog. He explained all the products which earn money for Automattic Company. As a beginner you’re using all the products like WordPress and Akismet for free right? But once your blog start earning, you need to pay for the services. Yes, let me give you some bullet point of it.
- Blog : WordPress offers blog hosting services at $500 per month to big publishers.
- Akismet: If you maintain a business blog, you need to pay $50 per month
- Poll Daddy: Free poll daddy supports only double digit voting. You need to buy a version if you want extended features in it.
WordPress Products List: Most of the WordPress users don’t know how many products they are offering for free. Here is the detailed list of their products.
- WordPress.com: Famous open source WordPress package with 5-minute install
- Akismet: protection service that has proven highly effective, blocking millions of spams a day with a 0.001% miss rate.
- BBPress: Famous and free Forum software
- IntenseDebate: system that enhances and encourages discussion on your blog
- PollDaddy: Free & premier way to create and surveys on the web
- Gravatar: A gravatar (globally recognized avatar) is quite simply an image that appears when you comment.
- Buddy Press: Buddy Press will extend WordPress MU, bringing social networking features to your blog
- WordPress for iPhone: The first Open Source blogging app for iPhone and iPod touch
- : Free and Premium WordPress
- : Free for your WP blogs
These are the products offered by WordPress Company called Automattic. And that’s how they earn money . Hope you enjoyed it. Happy Blogging!